Everyday Life in the RV: Storage


One of the features we most admired the first time we saw Toto (besides the impeccable exterior, neutral decor, and ample space for dogs on travel days) was the amount of interior storage. Shelves lined the cabin on both sides. The kitchen pantry was roomy. The linen closet huge. And we each had a small hanging closet - one on each side of the bed.

While it's just the two of us, I'm certain this 40 ft coach could easily accommodate a family of four. You have to be willing to think outside the box and get a little creative with storage options.

And you must remain flexible. RV storage solutions are in a perpetual fluid state... what works today might be modified tomorrow. But for now, this is how I organize.

Bedroom

Both of us have a hanging closet on our side of the bed. While great storage space, it is not as convenient as we first thought.

First, the closet is narrow, only about 11 inches wide and 20 inches long. In addition, the depth is a hair too small for normal hangers.

After much experimentation, we finally settled on a system that seems to work well. We use Ikea's Rassla hanging organizer and fold up the 5th slot so it fits the shorter space. 

I then bought the Ikea Grundvattnet tubs, typically found in the kitchen area, but they also make great "shelves" for the hanging organizer.

One tub holds all unmentionables 😊 One tub holds long-sleeve shirts and turtlenecks. And the third tub holds short-sleeve t-shirts. I do not use a tub for the top shelf, but instead, roll my pants and jeans to fit. 

I have since purchased a small tub from the Dollar Store that sits on top of the organizer to hold my socks.

I have space to hang one or two items. For now, that's where I store my hoodie.

The area above Geoff's side of the bed is reserved for the circuit breaker. But I have a nice empty cabinet on my side ... perfect for a traveling bookshelf 😊

While I tend to use the Libby app and my Kindle when away from home, I do enjoy having physical books around me. I plan to use the space to hold a few novels, but mostly to store my genealogy research. 

The foot of the bed actually lifts up to reveal nice storage space as well. I think we may store empty suitcases in here for those few times we choose to leave the rig and stay overnight somewhere else.

Linen Closet

We've deemed the hallway closet the "linen" closet --- primarily because it is directly across from the shower room 😊 I use another Ikea Rassla to hold all our bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths. Since this is a full-size closet, I have access to all five "shelves" with space underneath to store shoes (or in this case, insulated covers for the air conditioner).

The hangers to the left of the organizer will hold our winter coats. And the bin underneath will hold our hats, scarves, and gloves.

The other side of the closet is for Geoff's shirts (which he prefers to hang rather than fold).

What you don't see in this photo are the four large drawers underneath the closet. One drawer is reserved for Geoff's household tools. I use one drawer to store bulky sweaters that don't easily fit in my closet. We still have space available in the remaining two drawers (although I'm sure we will fill it soon).

Laundry Closet

The Washing Machine/Dryer combo is directly across from the linen closet. At first, I wasn't sure I would like this space-saving machine, but so far I've washed three loads of laundry with no problem.

Because we have a combo unit, the space above (big enough to hold a machine) is now extra storage. I had no problem filling it though 😊 This is where I store the printer + the file box that holds all the extra paper/cardstock/photo paper.

The clothes hamper you see on the bed fits perfectly in this space as well. It allows us to dispose of dirty clothes quickly and inconspicuously.

Hero's dog bed folds neatly and fits along the side when not in use.

Bathroom Facilities

One of the features we loved about Toto was the fact that the toilet is a separate room from the shower. While small and compact, it is plenty big for its designed purpose.

There is a sink directly across from the stool. I actually find it easier to brush my teeth and wash my face in this room than in the shower room. 

Under the sink is a small cabinet that holds extra toilet paper. Super convenient!

Above the toilet is a two-shelf cabinet. I can fit three rolls of paper towels on the top shelf. I haven't decided how to use the bottom shelf.

While it may seem odd to have the shower in the middle of the coach, it actually works quite well. There is a sliding door between this room and the kitchen that we can close to provide privacy. And I love the open space to dry off.

The large mirror you see above the sink is actually a medicine cabinet! It is huge (which is why I prefer to brush my teeth in the toilet room ... I can lean over the sink without bumping my head). This cabinet not only holds our medicine but also spare bathing supplies.

Under the sink is a large cabinet that holds all my cleaning supplies (and more). The draws to the right hold my comb, brush, and makeup.

While you can't tell from this angle, there is an odd carpeted shelf between the shower and the vanity. Believe it or not, it is the perfect spot for the cordless vacuum! There's an outlet for charging, and all the extra tools fit in the bottom drawer.

Kitchen Pantry

I spent a long time deciding which coffee method would be best for the RV. Morning coffee is non-negotiable. A good strong cup of coffee is non-negotiable. But I am not married to a specific brewing method.

In the end, I decided on the simple, old-fashioned plastic Melita filter. It is inexpensive. I can make the coffee as strong or weak as I want. And I can use the tea kettle to boil water for both morning coffee and evening tea.

The kettle fits perfectly next to the sink. And the pantry above holds all the coffee fixings: ground coffee and filters.

In addition, this large pantry also holds all my essential condiments: olive oils, vinegars, and other various bottles. They fit snugly in a plastic bin to keep them in place during travel days.

The top shelf of the pantry holds my grains -- mainly rice, pasta, and crackers. 

Directly under the kettle is a small cabinet that houses the water purifier, but also my Air Fryer. The garbage can sits directly in front of the door.

There are five pull-out drawers on the front of this pantry. The top two drawers are a bit wider than the bottom three. And they are the exact height of a typical can of vegetables or small peanut butter jar.

I purchased a few small Ikea Variera containers to hold some of the cans and package mixes. And I purchased several narrow containers (from Ikea, Target, and Dollar Store) to hold my spices.

The bottom drawer is reserved for doggie paraphernalia: treats, calming chews, and pill pockets.

Kitchen Sink Area

In addition to great storage, Toto also has great kitchen counter space. However, I must still be careful in what I choose to leave out, and what I plan to put away.

One of my first RV-specific purchases was a collapsible dish rack. While it is not very big, it is sufficient for us. The water drains into the sink, and when the dishes are put away, the rack is easily stored under the sink.

I use another one of Ikea's Variera containers to hold the hand soap, dish soap, and disinfectant wipes. And I purchased an inexpensive dish tray to hold my sponge. This helps keep the counter space around the sink clean and dry.

The deep empty space behind the sink is perfect for my fruit basket (and an occasional overflow of dirty dishes).

Directly above the sink is a deep, yet oddly shaped cabinet. After a few experiments, I finally decided it was the perfect spot for dishes (the tiered rack holds our inexpensive Ikea Oftast dishes).

The mugs are in the front for easy access on those early mornings when I'm a bit too bleary-eyed to see.

And the empty space in the back is the perfect place to store the containers and lids I use for leftovers.

To the right of the sink is another oddly shaped cabinet. While deep, it is not very tall. However, it is the perfect size for high-ball glasses. We have two clear plastic ones (and four gray plastic ones which store lying down) ... and four low balls which serve as our evening wine glasses.

The Microwave/Convection Oven Combo is directly over the stovetop. And next to that is a tall (and deep) cabinet. Currently, I use that space for paper plates, bowls, and napkins (basically anything I would use in the microwave or in a pinch on travel days), as well as a large cutting board and pizza pan. Incidentally, the pizza pan doubles as a roasting pan for vegetables, and the cutting board is perfect for serving charcuterie.

Kitchen Utensils

The stovetop is hidden in this picture (mostly because I use the counter space far more often). In a typical home, the oven would be directly below the range, but in this RV the oven is replaced with extra storage. The first drawer holds my hot pads, trivets, dish towels, and placemats.

The large cabinet at the bottom holds my kitchen cleaning supplies (extra sponges, dish soap, and Resolve carpet cleaner for doggie accidents), as well as baggies, aluminum foil, and plastic wrap.

This cabinet is rather deep, so I anticipate using the area behind the cleaning supplies to store bottled water and LaCroix.

There are three drawers to the left of the stove. The first two drawers are short but deep. The top drawer holds all my miscellaneous utensils and the middle drawer holds our flatware, small cutting boards, and knives. I also manage to keep a bread basket in that drawer and the wine opener.

The bottom drawer is very deep and the perfect space for pots and pans. Due to space considerations (and cooking preferences) I have limited the selection to one cast-iron skillet, one non-stick skillet, and one small saucepan. I have an 8x8 pan and a loaf pan. And I have a set of plastic mixing bowls, measuring cups, and measuring spoons. I'm giving some thought to packing the hand mixer, but other than that, I think this area is good to go.

Dinette

The photo shows one of three cabinets over the dinette table. As you can tell, the space is tall and fairly deep. 

The cabinet to the far left is used for large pantry items, such as chips, rice cakes, bread, etc.

The center cabinet is currently empty, but I anticipate I will use it once we are on the road for long stretches of time.

The cabinet to the far right is Geoff's cabinet. I know he stores the RV "bible" in there (every single manual we could ever need) ... and I'm not sure what else. I don't ask 😊

Living Room

If we continue on the dinette side going toward the front of the cab, there is a large cabinet that houses the Instant Pot and, on travel days, the tea kettle.

Next to that is the cabinet that houses our growing DVD collection 😊 As you can see, I have a lot of wasted space at the moment. I need to experiment with stacking and/or finding plastic wire shelving.

The cabinet to the left of the media is reserved for the monitoring system. We can check our various tanks (freshwater, gray water, and black water) as well as battery function.

Geoff also screwed in a few hooks where we keep all RV keys for easy access (and we aren't as apt to lose them). The cabinet is next to the front door.

On the opposite side of the rig, above the couch, are another three cabinets. While these are plenty deep, they are not nearly as tall as those on the opposite side.

At first, I thought this might prove problematic. But as you can see, I found containers that fit perfectly in this space. And these are the perfect containers to hold all my arts, craft, and journaling supplies.

In addition, I can also fit my scrapbooking trimmers, die-cut machine, and paper/sticker binders.

I can maintain all my hobbies while on the road!

The Front Seats

As I detailed in a previous post, the driver's seat is typically used as the "coat closet" when we are parked at a campsite. It allows for easy access and is an efficient use of otherwise wasted space. 

The area behind the driver's seat is perfect for the large, heavy items that we access nearly every day, such as dog food and feeding bowls, a case of wine, and my folding 4-foot craft table. 

On travel days we need to rehome these items because this space disappears when we pull in the slide. 


The passenger seat swivels to provide extra seating in the leaving room. The space between this chair and the couch is the perfect spot for the dogs' bin. In this tub are the leashes, a towel (for wiping off), and all of Hero's "lovies" that help with his anxiety.

On the wall next to the front door we attached an Ikea garbage bag holder. This is most convenient as we recycle these plastic bags during poop patrol.

The "Basement"

We also have two large pull-through bays underneath the carriage which we use for rig maintenance items and outdoor furniture (like folding chairs and gas grill). I'll be glad to share that set-up once we get it organized 😊

Hope you enjoyed this inside tour of our coach. If you have organizational tips to share, we'd love to hear them!

Comments