Learning to be Flexible

 


This is not the blog post I expected to write the first week of 2022.

I expected to detail the packing process for our long-awaited snowbird trip --- which was scheduled to begin January 8th.  I expected to share, with great anticipation, our plans to leave the frigid Midwest for the warm Texas Gulf. I expected to report we are T-minus 2 days to take off.

But sometimes the best-laid plans are just not meant to be.

Unexpected Situation #1

We had to say goodbye to our dear, sweet Buddy.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if Buddy would like RVing. I wasn't sure he could navigate the steps to get in and out of the rig. But he was a trooper! As long as he was with his humans, Buddy was content.

In October the vet told us his internal organs were expanding. Due to his advanced age (he recently turned fourteen), the vet recommended we do nothing. Let Buddy enjoy life and he will let us know when it is time to go.

In November, Buddy fell going up the stairs. He wasn't injured, just stunned. I thought it was because he could not gain traction on our hardwood floors. So I placed a welcome mat at the bottom of the stairs and that seemed to do the trick.

But at the time I said a prayer. IF Buddy could not make the entire snowbird trip, please take him before we left town. I did not want Buddy to suffer in a foreign place with an unfamiliar doctor.

God answers prayer.

On Christmas Eve Buddy fell again. This time, however, he refused to get up. After several attempts, we finally placed him comfortably on top of his bed, where he remained most of the day.

He surprised us that evening by getting up and actually walking downstairs... but we could tell it was difficult for him.

I slept downstairs with Buddy for three nights. I refused to leave him alone. And over those three days, he slowly declined. He lost control of his bladder. And eventually, he started to pass blood.

When Geoff took Buddy to the vet on Monday, she commented, "It was nice of Buddy to let you know it was time to say goodbye." 

Yes, it was. But that was Buddy. The kindest, friendliest, most compassionate dog. We will miss him greatly as we embark on our RVing adventures, but we will always be grateful for the trips he made with us.

Unexpected Situation #2

The day after we said goodbye to Buddy, I experienced a scratchy throat and a slight runny nose. I thought it was due to holiday stress and my body was run down. 

A week later, Geoff experienced extreme fatigue. He could not stay awake. 

I had a dental procedure scheduled earlier this week. Before going in the dentist tested me for Covid. Result? You guessed it -- positive 😕 My symptoms never worsened. I never developed a fever, chills, aches, or pains. I am VERY grateful!

The dentist had me gargle with hydrogen peroxide before treating me. He felt confident I am no longer contagious. 

Obviously, this delays our departure. Geoff is still fatigued. I am weary of it all. And we are both disappointed.

The Silver Linings

While I am no Pollyanna (and typically view the glass-half-empty) ... I find many blessings in this current predicament.

  1. Buddy lived a good, long life. We had over two years with the best senior dog. He did not suffer for long - and Buddy died on his terms.
  2. Our Covid symptoms, while inconvenient, are quite minor. We have no fever. We have no respiratory issues. We have no problem getting good sleep in our own beds. 
  3. We are in our home ... where there is plenty of space. Geoff and I each have our own bedroom and bathroom. Dealing with this kind of long-term illness in Toto would be a test of our collective patience 😊
  4. We are both Type A Personalities ... we like to be in control at all times. Yet the nomadic RV life requires flexibility. We need to learn to roll with the punches and trust God. This Covid experience is teaching us a valuable lesson for the road.
  5. Delayed is not the same as Canceled. We WILL realize the dream. Perhaps we will leave next week. Perhaps later than that. But we WILL travel south and enjoy the snowbird experience. 
  6. God knows best. While we want to start this adventure now ... we trust that He knows best. Weather conditions this year are unprecedented. Perhaps this delay has kept us safe in ways we will never know.

So for now, we rest -- and continue to countdown the days until we can travel south.

Stay tuned...

Comments